Instead of a recipe from my cookbook collection today, today we have a recipe from my mom. Some of my favorite recipes and recipe ideas come from my mom and I love sharing them with you.
This is apple cake with caramel sauce is of those old fashioned desserts that is simple, yet delicious. This contains basic ingredients. Ingredients that we all have on hand.
That is one of the things I love about older recipes. They are usually easy recipes containing everyday ingredients. They are not fancy, but are delicious.
I think I have adapted this some from the version my mom makes, but it is the same basic recipe my mom has made for years.
I am sharing the regular version here today that is full of nuts and regular flour because that is how my mom makes it, but for the gluten free version be sure to see what I shared in my allergy section. This is so moist, it worked great gluten free as well. If you are gluten free, the gluten free version is a must try.
Mom’s Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg ( I will admit several in my family do not like nutmeg so I leave it out)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped and peeled apples, granny smith, jonathan, or another baking apple work best
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- In a bowl combine butter and sugar. Add in egg and combine well.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon and mix well.
- Stir in apples and walnuts.
- Spread into a greased 8 inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30-34 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
For the Caramel Sauce:
- In a pan combine brown sugar and cornstarch.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook on medium low, stirring constantly, until thickened. This will take about 3 minutes.
- Pour warm caramel sauce over warm cake.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.