Today over in my main section I am sharing a recipe for my mom’s apple cake with caramel sauce. It is a delicious and moist apple cake that my mom has made for years. You really can’t go wrong with apple cake covered in caramel sauce. It is kind of like a caramel apple, but in cake form.
This cake is so good that I knew I had to adapt it to gluten free. Moist cakes like this usually adapt well, so I thought this cake was the perfect cake to try gluten free. And it was worth. The gluten free version was delicious!
Now I will say that this cake is not an everyday cake. It is a special treat cake. One of those cakes you make a few times a year. Not healthy, but so worth it. Really this is a must make gluten free cake for fall.
Gluten Free Fresh Apple Cake with Caramel Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg ( I will admit several in my family do not like nutmeg so I leave it out)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups chopped and peeled apples, granny smith, jonathan, or another baking apple work best
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts ( I leave these out now because of my daughter’s nut allergy, but if you can have nuts be sure to add them. I think pecans would be good too)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- In a bowl combine butter and sugar. Add in egg and combine well.
- Stir in rice flour, cornstarch, baking soda, nutmeg, and cinnamon and mix well.
- Stir in apples and nuts if using nuts.
- Spread into a greased 8 inch square pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30-34 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
For the Caramel Sauce:
- In a pan combine brown sugar and cornstarch.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook on medium low, stirring constantly, until thickened. This will take about 3 minutes.
- Pour warm caramel sauce over warm cake.
- Let sit for at least 30 minutes before serving.