It only takes five basic ingredients to make this quick and easy dinner!
It is no secret that I love quick and easy meals. Yes, I love to cook, but with three kids, a busy schedule, and the general craziness of life, the reality is that most days I need quick and easy, get it to the table fast, meals. I am guessing most of you need those same type of meals.
I love layered Mexican casseroles and have made them for years. I recently came across a burrito casserole that looked great, but used ingredients that my family cannot have like store bought frozen burritos.
I am sure the casserole was delicious, but since we deal with food allergies we have to be careful about the prepackaged items that we buy. Frozen burritos are pretty much on the no list when it comes to things we can and can’t buy.
Besides that buying frozen burritos for a casserole seems like a bit of a waste and a bit expensive. Now, don’t get me wrong, I have bought plenty of frozen burritos in my lifetime. They are great for a quick lunch or dinner, especially for kids or for my husband to take to work.
However, for using in a casserole, to feed a family of five, they seem like a bit of a waste. I knew this was one of those cases where making a homemade version would be much cheaper. And for my family much safer to eat.
To make this without the frozen burritos I took the basic ingredients that you would have in a burrito and turned it into a layered casserole. It really was easy to make a homemade version!
And it was delicious! My whole family loved this.
Quick, easy, and delicious! I love recipes like that.
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1- 15 ounce can chili beans ( I use Bush's Beans)
- 1½ cups salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 tortillas ( I used gluten free tortillas)
- In a skillet brown ground beef until done and no longer pink. Drain off any fat.
- Stir in chili beans.
- Line a 9x13 pan with 4 tortillas. Cutting if needed to fit pan.
- Layer meat mixture onto tortillas.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese.
- Place remaining 4 tortillas on top of cheese. Cutting if needed to fit pan.
- Spread salsa on top of tortillas.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until heated through.