Chocolate chips and coconut combined in this homemade granola makes for a delicious breakfast treat!
Whenever I have chocolate and coconut together it reminds me of a Mounds Bar, which is one of my favorite candy bars. Chocolate and coconut just go together so well. Really how can anything with chocolate and coconut in it be bad.
Well, maybe if you don’t like coconut, it would be, but if you love coconut like I do, this will quickly become your favorite breakfast treat.
It is no secret that my family loves homemade granola. I have quite a few homemade granola recipes in my archives and we make it all the time.
I started making homemade granola years ago. I loved being able to control the ingredients and change up the flavors to how my family liked it. When my daughter developed her tree nut and peanut allergy though making granola became a necessity .
Over the last few years my daughter and I have experimented a ton with making granola. We love coming up with new flavors and new techniques for getting the best texture.
The newest flavor that we love is this chocolate chip coconut granola. It is kind of like a mounds bar in a bowl. Delicious!
When I make my granola I usually bake it in 9×13 pans. When I made this granola recently though, so that I could take pictures of it, I realized that all my 9×13 pans were being used.
I think 9×13 pans are one of those things that I could own a ton of and I still would not have enough. Between making desserts, casseroles, and freezer meals I am always using my 9×13 pans.
So what do you do when you run out of 9×13 pans? You grab another pan and hope it works. I could have used a smaller pyrex dish, but I was afraid it would crowd it too much. I was making a large batch and I wanted to make sure it would still crisp up enough.
I decided to use a couple of cookie sheets, the kind with sides like a jelly roll pan, and give it a try that way. It worked great. In fact, I think I liked cooking it on a cookie sheet even better than in a 9×13 pan.
I was able to spread out the granola more and it helped it crisp up more. I will definitely be using a cookie sheet in the future to make granola. Either one works though so just use what you have.
Almonds would also be really good in this granola. Now obviously we can’t do that because of my daughter’s nut allergy, but almonds would be delicious added to this. It would give it more like an almond joy type flavor.
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup oil or coconut oil, I like coconut oil for this
- ½ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon coconut extract, optional but really good for extra coconut flavor
- 3 cups old fashioned oats, I use gluten free oats
- 4 cups quick cooking oats, I use gluten free quick oats
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- In a small sauce pan combine brown sugar, oil, and honey.
- Bring to a boil stirring constantly. Once it comes to a boil remove from the heat and add vanilla and coconut extract.
- In a large bowl combine oats, coconut, and sugar/oil mixture. Stir until everything is combined and oats are well coated.
- Spread in 2 9x13 pans or onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Remove from oven and stir in chocolate chips.
- Return granola to oven, but turn off oven. Leave granola in oven for 3-4 hours. The heat left in the granola will finish cooking it.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Store in an airtight container.