Homemade versions our our favorite foods are some of my favorite recipes to work on. I love the challenge of recreating a recipe at home. Over the years I have made copy cat versions of quite a few of our favorite recipes.
Over the summer my daughter and I made a quick trip to Oregon to visit my family. My sister picked up a few gluten free foods for us that she knew we could have.
One of the things she bought was Chex’s gluten free granola. It contains nuts so it is not a cereal I would normally buy, but since my daughter with the nut allergy was not with us, it was a cereal that we could enjoy. And enjoy it we did.
I loved the Chex gluten free granola. I ate it for breakfast and as a snack. I loved just grabbing a handful of it for a quick on the go snack.
Since it is not a cereal I can buy at home, I decided that it was a recipe I needed to recreate. It was actually pretty easy to recreate it. Now, I will admit that it is not 100% the same. My homemade version is missing the nuts, but you could easily add them in and it would be great.
The texture of mine is also slightly different. I actually think it is better. Plus because I made it at home, I can know the ingredients that it contains.
My kids love this granola with some chocolate chips stirred in. After all chocolate makes everything better. It is not quite as healthy with chocolate, but it is delicious. Most of the time I leave the chocolate out, but I do occasionally make it with chocolate.
If you love making homemade granola this is a fun and delicious version to try!
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅓ cup oil
- ½ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 cups chex cereal, rice, corn, vanilla, or other
- 4 cups quick oats, I use gluten free quick oats
- 1 cup chopped nuts, optional
- ½ cup chocolate chips, optional
- In a small pan mix brown sugar, oil, and honey. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add vanilla and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl combine oats and cereal. (If adding in nuts stir them in too)
- Add sugar/oil mixture to oats and cereal and stir until everything is coated well.
- Spread on a large cookie sheet or jelly roll type pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes.
- Stir and turn off oven. Stir in chocolate chips if using. Put granola back into the oven for 2-3 hours. The heat left in the oven will finish cooking this.
- Remove from the oven after 2-3 hours and let cool completely Store in an air tight container.