This quick and easy Mexican Tomato Soup has become a favorite for my family.
I have been making this soup for awhile now, but I recently realized that I had not shared it with you all. After a weekend full of eating I thought today would be a great day to share a simple soup recipe with you.
This is a pretty basic homemade tomato soup, but I have changed it up and added some Mexican flavors to it. We love it with either tortilla chips or with cheese quesadillas. With quesadillas it is kind of like the classic combination of tomato soup and grilled cheese, but with Mexican theme.
Mexican Tomato Soup is perfect this time of year. It is quick and easy to make and it is so good on a cold day.
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2- 14.5 ounce cans of tomatoes
- 1- 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
- 2 - 4.5 ounce cans green chilies
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Heat oil or butter in a pan. Add onion and cook until onion is tender.
- Add garlic and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, green chilies, cumin, and oregano. Stir to combine and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Add sour cream to soup and puree soup in blender or use an immersion blender to puree. If using a regular blender let cool slightly before blending and use caution when blending hot liquid.
- Blend until smooth and well combined.
- Return soup to pan and stir in lime juice.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Note: If gluten free be sure to use a gluten free chicken broth.