I have been in the mood for soup lately. I think it is the weather and the time of year. The cooler fall weather just makes me want to sit down at the end of the day for a delicious bowl of soup. I think I could eat soup for dinner almost every day during the fall and winter.
I often use my crock pot to make soup. I love it because it is so easy to put it together during the day and have dinner ready when I need it. This slow cooked potato sausage corn soup is perfect for that.
This soup is great because it is a meal by itself. It contains meat, potatoes, corn, and carrots. You can serve it with bread or biscuits, but you don’t have to.
We added cheese to this when serving it, but you really do not need to. It was delicious on its own and even better with cheese.
I added some carrots to it, but you could also add in whatever other vegetables you like or have on hand. It is one of those basic recipes that is easy to change up using what you have.
This recipe is also gluten free just be sure to read labels to make sure your sausage and chicken broth are gluten free.
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cans chicken broth or homemade chicken broth
- ¼- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups frozen corn
- ⅔ cup cheddar cheese
- In a skillet brown sausage. Drain off any fat.
- Place sausage in a crock pot.
- Add potatoes, broth, carrots, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours or until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Add corn for the last hour of cooking. ( You can add corn with all the other ingredients, but I prefer the corn added towards the end of the cooking time.)
- Serve with cheese if desired.