Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake is a simple gluten free coffee cake that is delicious! No one will know that this is gluten free.
This gluten free chocolate chip coffee cake is one of our new favorite desserts or special treat for a weekend breakfast. My daughter and I have made this at least four times since Thanksgiving. It is that good.
One of the things that I love about this recipe is that no one will know it is gluten free. Both the gluten free eaters and the non gluten free eaters in my house love this.
I actually shared a picture of this cake on Facebook and Instagram a few weeks ago and said that I would post it soon. I am sorry that it took me so long to share the recipe. I know it is one that many of you will want to make soon!
The original recipe was a pretty basic coffee cake recipe with chocolate chips added. We made it gluten free using some of our favorite gluten free flours. We tried this with a pre-made gluten free blend and it was not the same. Using individual gluten free flours gave us a much better result.
What makes this cake so good is the topping. It is slightly crunchy, but it also seeps down into the cake as it cooks. It gives the cake great texture and flavor. Don’t skip the topping. If you can have nuts I think a few chopped nuts added to the topping would also be great.
- ¾ cup rice flour
- ¼ cup and 2 tablespoons sweet rice flour
- ¼ cup and 2 tablespoons corn starch
- ½ teaspoons xanthan gum
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ cup oil
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup gluten free chocolate chips
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- ½ cup gluten free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Grease an 8 by 8 pan and set aside.
- By hand, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and chocolate chips.
- In a two cup measuring cup, mix milk, egg, and oil.
- Pour into flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Spread batter into pan.
- In a small bowl melt the butter and let it cool for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir the brown sugar into the butter.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Sprinkle the topping on top of the batter in the pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.