Crock Pot Mexican Chicken is an easy to make recipe that contains only five ingredients and freezes great!
Easy Crock Pot Mexican Chicken is one of my favorite shredded meats to have in the freezer. It is so easy to make and it works for so many things.
We love this on tacos, taco salad, burrito or taco bowls, enchiladas, nachos, quesadillas, and more.
I often make this up on the weekend and we use it for several days in different ways. I also like to freeze it for busy nights. It is one of my favorite things to cook when I get boneless skinless chicken on sale.
To freeze this I just cook it, shred it, let it cool completely and just freeze it in zip top type bags or in freezer containers. Then I just defrost and use it how I want.
This recipe has beer in it. I use gluten free beer, but use regular beer if you can have it. I love using beer in this because it adds flavor and helps tenderize the meat. But if you don’t use beer or don’t have any on hand, you can use some chicken broth instead. It is not quite as good, but it does work.
Easy Crock Pot Mexican Chicken
- 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, thighs, or a combination of breasts and thighs
- 1 onion, diced
- 16 ounces green salsa
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 12 ounces beer ( I use gluten free beer)
- Place chicken and onions in crock pot.
- Combine green salsa and cumin. Pour over chicken and stir so that chicken is coated.
- Pour beer over chicken mixture.
- Cook on low for 5-6 or on high for 3-4 or until chicken is done.
- Remove chicken from crock pot and shred.
- Serve on tacos, taco salad, burrito bowls, enchiladas, nachos, etc.
- If freezing cool completely and place in zip lock type bags or freezer containers.