Gluten Free Oatmeal Cream Pies are a homemade gluten free version of a favorite treat!
Do you miss those famous store bought oatmeal cream pies? I do!
Overall I am a chocolate person. I love chocolate. But there are a few desserts, like the famous oatmeal cream pies, that I have missed since going gluten free
Over the last few years I have been working on getting a homemade gluten free version just right. It has taken quite a few tries, but I finally developed a version that my family loves!
I was determined to get this recipe right for a new ebook project I am working on. I was going to save it for the ebook, but after tasting them last weekend when I made them, I knew I had to share them with you now. I couldn’t wait to share the recipe.
My gluten eating husband declared these better than the real thing. He loved them! I loved them too. I will admit though that they are not 100% the same.
Don’t get me wrong, they are delicious. I agree with my husband that they are really really good, but like many gluten free things the texture is not quite the same. Good. But not 100% the same. I just want to add that little disclaimer. 🙂
But if you loved the real ones please make these. Please. I think you will love them! They are really that good.
I did make them large for the pictures. I wanted them as close to the real thing as I could get. However, they are large. It is a lot of cookie to eat. Actually it is two really large cookies and some frosting that you end up eating. Good, but a lot. In the future I will make them a little smaller and more normal sized.
Now go make yourself some homemade gluten free oatmeal pies!
Homemade Oatmeal Cream Pies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup white rice flour
- ½ cup sweet rice flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups gluten free quick cooking oats
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-2 teaspoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl cream together butter, brown sugar, and sugar until light and fluffy. This will take 3-4 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- In another bowl combine rice flour, sweet rice flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
- Gradually add to creamed mixture.
- When flour mixture is well combined add oats. Mix just until combined.
- To make large cookies drop 3 tablespoons of dough on to cookie sheet for each cookie. Flatten slightly. For smaller cookies use 2 tablespoons. For more uniform cookies use a cookie scoop.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes depending on the size of the cookies.
- Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- To make filling:
- In a mixing bowl combine butter, sugar, and vanilla. Mix for about 4-5 minutes or until well combined and smooth.
- Add enough milk while mixing for desired consistency.
- Spread filling on cookies.
- This makes about 10 filled cookies.