Have you seen the recipe for pumpkin pie cake but didn’t want to make it because it contained a cake mix? Today I have a version of that cake but without the mix. This Pumpkin Pie Cake from scratch without a cake mix is just as quick and easy to make as the regular version.
There are many versions of pumpkin pie cake. You might have even seen some of them. They are basically a version of a dump cake, but with a crust like layer on both the top and bottom.
All of the recipes for pumpkin pie cake that I have seen call for a cake mix. I don’t mind using an occasional cake mix, but I love making things from scratch if I can.
For this recipe I used the same basic idea that I used for my pumpkin dump cake without the cake mix, but changed it up so that there was a crust like layer on the top and bottom.
If you need a simple fall or Thanksgiving dessert give this a try. I also have a gluten free version for you so if you are gluten free be sure to check out my Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie Cake without Cake Mix.
Pumpkin Pie Cake from Scratch without a Cake Mix
- 1 – 15 ounce can pumpkin ( Not pumpkin pie filling, just canned pumpkin)
- 1- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon or 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1¼ cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- In a bowl whisk together the pumpkin, evaporated milk, 3 eggs, 1 cup sugar, and cinnamon until well combined. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Stir in melted butter and egg. Mix until well combined. Mixture will be somewhat dry and not like a batter.
- Press half of the cake mixture into a 9×13 pan.
- Pour filling over cake mixture.
- Sprinkle remaining cake mixture over filling and press slightly.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.