Slow Cooked Chicken Sloppy Joes are a fun twist on a classic recipe.
I was not sure what to call these sandwiches. They are basically a shredded chicken sandwich, but I used all the flavors of sloppy Joes. I actually took one of my favorite sloppy joe recipes and used it for chicken. It worked great!
We love sloppy Joes and we love chicken sandwiches. This is a fun way to combine the two.
This is one of those meals that my family will be eating often.
It is also one of those recipes that I know will freeze great. I did not have any leftovers of this to freeze because we ate them for lunch the next day, but next time I am going to be sure to make extra to freeze.
My husband and son ate this on a hamburger bun. My girls ate it on gluten free bread. I ate it without bread or a bun. I just piled it on my plate and it was great. So this is one of those recipes that is easy to adapt to however you need it.
I think it would also be great over baked potatoes. We might try that next time.
And yes those are frozen store bought french fries. I love homemade fries. I used to make them all the time, but over the last few months frozen fries have been a go to side dish for me.
My kids love them. They are easy to make and don’t take any thought to put together. Sometimes you just need a few premade things like that in the freezer. And I will admit that I love them. Like I could probably eat them everyday I love them so much. Which is another reason I almost always have some on hand. Just keeping it real for you. 🙂
Slow Cooked Chicken Sloppy Joes
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- hamburger buns or bread for serving
- Place chicken and onion in slow cooker.
- In a bowl combine tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, mustard, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, and salt. Pour over chicken and stir to coat chicken.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 5-6 or until chicken is done.
- Shred chicken.
- Serve over buns or bread.