Homemade frosting is the easiest way to take a simple cake to the next level. This homemade coconut frosting on a simple chocolate cake is an easy, yet delicious, dessert!
Homemade frosting is so easy to make and so much better than the stuff from a can. Seriously. It is so much better!
I love making homemade cake, but I also love the convenience that cake mixes bring. Cake mixes make cakes quick and easy. And let’s face it if you are serving it to kids they usually don’t care. I have found they often prefer a cake made from a cake mix.
However, when it comes to frosting, you can totally tell a difference between homemade and the can. Homemade is just better.
One of the best things about homemade frosting is that it is easy to make and it only contains a few ingredients.
If you have never made homemade frosting you need to give it a try!
This homemade coconut frosting is one of our favorites!
I recently made this for my favorite gluten free chocolate cake, but it works for just about any chocolate, white, or yellow cake. This frosting would also work well for cupcakes. No matter how you make it, it is delicious!
Homemade Coconut Frosting
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 3/4 cups powdered sugar
- 3 cups flaked coconut
- In a mixing bowl beat cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy.
- Add in 2 tablespoons milk and vanilla. Mix well.
- Gradually add in powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Add more milk if needed for desired consistency.
- Stir in coconut.
- Use to frost cake or cupcakes.