Homemade chocolate pudding is a rich, creamy dessert that is easy to make and is delicious!
Homemade pudding is one of my favorite desserts to make. It is so easy to make and so much better than the kind you buy in a box at the store.
If you have never made homemade pudding it is a must try! It really is easy to make. Once you make the real kind you may never go back to the box stuff again.
Growing up my mom always made homemade pudding. The kind that came in a box was actually a treat for us. The homemade kind was pretty much all we knew.
I have continued that tradition with my own family. I make it homemade all the time. I buy the boxed pudding when a specific recipe calls for it, but when we want a bowl of pudding I always make it homemade.
Today’s recipe is very similar to my homemade double chocolate pudding, but this one makes less. A lot of readers have made my double chocolate pudding, but it makes a lot. It is more for a family or for serving company. The recipe I am sharing today it perfect for just a few bowls.
More homemade pudding recipes.
- Homemade Vanilla Pudding
- Homemade Lemon Pudding
- Microwave Chocolate Pudding
- Dairy Free Microwave Pudding
Homemade Chocolate Pudding
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- In a saucepan, stir together sugar, cocoa, cornstarch and salt.
- Stir in milk while cooking over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat, and stir in butter, chocolate chips, and vanilla.
- Stir until chocolate chips have melted.
- Serve warm, or chill in refrigerator until serving.
- If not eating this right away lay a piece of plastic/syran wrap over the pudding and press against pudding. This will help prevent the skin layer that forms on top of homemade pudding as it cools. If you like that layer, like several in my house do, skip this step.