Often times I think we overlook simple old-fashioned desserts.
Desserts today tend to be full of ingredients and are often complicated. And although they are very good, they often contain many steps and ingredients that we do not normally keep on hand.
This pie I am sharing today is a simple and inexpensive pie to make. It contains regular ingredients that most of us have. And it is so good!
I normally do not like the taste of buttermilk on its own. I usually prefer it in things like pancakes and waffles where I can not really taste the buttermilk. My husband and his family on the other hand can drink it by the glassful. They love it.
With a name like buttermilk pie you would think that this pie would have a strong buttermilk flavor, but it does not. The buttermilk in this gives it a nice creamy texture without giving it a strong buttermilk taste.
I have tried many buttermilk pies over the years and this recipe is my favorite.
It is adapted from a recipe I found in Paula Deen’s Southern Cooking Bible and we loved it. Paula did a great job on coming up with the perfect recipe for this old fashioned dessert. And I love her new cookbook. If you know a Paula Deen fan this cookbook would be the perfect gift.
And not only that, this pie is a perfect pie for the holidays!
- 1 unbaked 9 inch pie crust
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract (Yes 1 tablespoon, this gives this pie a really good flavor.)
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Line pie crust with parchment paper or foil and fill with dried beans or pie weights. This helps the pie crust from rising up and being uneven when prebaking the crust. Bake pie crust for 18 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside while you make the filling.
- Reduce oven to 350.
- In a large bowl whisk together the cornstarch, sugar, and eggs. Slowly add buttermilk, melted butter, and vanilla and continue whisking until well combined.
- Pour into the filling and bake 40 minutes.
- Let pie cool completely and refrigerate for several hours before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 179mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 0gSugar: 23gProtein: 4g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.