I have been wanting to make Chicken Queso soup for awhile now. I have found many versions both online and in cookbooks, but none of them were quite what I wanted.
After looking at many recipes I finally decided to tackle my own version of Chicken Queso Soup. What I ended up with was a mexican type soup that my family loves. It may not be a traditional Chicken Queso Soup, but we love it.
It is also a quick and easy dinner to serve.
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 can rotel tomatoes ( tomatoes with green chilies)
- 1 - 14ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cut into chunks, and room temperature
- 1 ½ cups milk
- 2 cups shredded colby jack cheese
- 3 or 4 cups cooked chicken
- In a larger pan saute onion in oil until tender and lightly browned.
- Add tomatoes, broth, cumin, and red pepper.
- Cook on low for 10-15 minutes. Then add cream cheese, milk, and chicken. And cook until heated through.
- Stir in shredded cheese and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 700Total Fat: 47gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 236mgSodium: 877mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 59g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.