I have a big three ring binder full of all the recipes that I have clipped from Southern Living Magazines over the last few years. I love their recipes and I have found many recipes that I enjoy. Whenever I copy or tear out a recipe from one of their magazines I put it in this binder.
I have tried many of these recipes. But I have many recipes left in my binder that I have not tried, so I occasionally try to look through my binder and find new things to try. This recipe was one that I recently found and tried. I am so glad I did. This soup was so good. The whole family enjoyed this soup. It was easy, healthy, and frugal. This soup is also perfect for a cold winter day.
Chunky Chicken Barley Soup
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped celery (I left this out because I don’t like celery)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2-oz.) cans low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup chopped cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley ( I think you could add 3/4 cup to make it heartier)
1. Saute first 4 ingredients in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat 5 minutes. Add chicken broth, 1 3/4 cups water, and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 23 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
2. Add chicken and barley; cook 8 to 10 minutes or until barley is tender.