You all know I like to keep it quick and easy. This time of year with the holidays it is no different. Quick and easy are a must.
I have decided that pie squares are my new favorite way to make pie because they are so much easier to make. The crust does not have to look pretty because you just press it into the bottom of a 9×13 pan. So they are perfect for those that avoid making regular pies.
For these creamy lemon pie squares, I took one of my favorite lemon pie recipes and adapted it to fit a 9×13 pan.
Pie squares are not only easy to make, they are perfect for large holiday gatherings because I find that they feed more people. Bars are easier to cut into smaller pieces. And during the holidays people like to try several different desserts, so I find cutting them into smaller pieces work great.
If you make these lemon pie squares and my pumpkin pie squares you will have two delicious desserts for the holidays without a lot of work.
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 5 eggs yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 1 pie crust, unbaked enough for a 9 inch pie, homemade, store bought, or gluten free pie crust works see note below
- Press pie crust into a 9x13 pan. Just on the bottom of the pan, not the sides. With a fork poke a few holes in the crust, this will keep it from rising up when it bakes.
- Bake at 350 for about 12 minutes or until pie crust is lightly golden and done. Set aside to cool.
- In a pan combine sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, egg yolks, and milk.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until thickened. This will take five minutes or more.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter.
- Put pudding mixture through a strainer. This will remove any lumps.
- Stir in sour cream until well combined.
- Pour into pie crust.
- Refrigerate for several hours or until ready to serve.
- Cut into squares and enjoy.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 159mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 4g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.