If you love candy canes or peppermint these Gluten Free Brownies with Candy Cane Frosting are a must make. These brownies are so good that no one will know that they are gluten free.
I made these gluten free brownies with candy cane frosting for my husband’s office Christmas party and they were a hit.
Only one of the staff members eats gluten free, but everyone loved them. I also took them to a friends house for a potluck style dinner and everyone loved them there too.
The candy cane frosting on these takes a fudgy brownies to the next level.
These brownies use individual gluten free flours. A gluten free blend will technically work, but the individual flours will give you the best results. The taste and texture will be better if made as written in the recipe.
- white rice flour
- sweet rice flour
- xanthan gum
- baking cocoa
- baking powder
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- cream cheese
- confectioners sugar
- candy canes
- 3/4 cup white rice flour
- 1/4 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk (Don't leave this out and don't use a full egg. The egg yolk helps the texture. )
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup crushed candy canes or peppermint candy (this amount will depend on how strong you like the candy cane flavor)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 9x13 pan and set aside.
- In a bowl combine white rice flour, sweet rice flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat melted butter, sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. This takes several minutes.
- Add eggs and egg yolk, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Mix half of the flour mixture into the batter and mix just until combined. Add water and mix until combined.
- Add the remaining flour mixture and mix until combined.
- Spread batter into 9x13 pan and bake for 18-20 minutes or until. You don't want to over bake these, but you do want them set.
- Let cool completely in pan.
- For the frosting, beat the cream cheese and butter in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add powdered sugar and beat for several minutes or until smooth.
- Add crushed candy canes and mix well.
- Frosting brownies.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
A gluten free flour blend will technically work in this recipe, but the individual flours will give you the best results.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 283Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 114mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 0gSugar: 33gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
More Gluten Free Holiday Recipes
- Homemade Snickers Bars
- Homemade Nestle Crunch Bars
- Gluten Free Lofthouse Style Cookies
- Flourless Candy Cane Brownies
Can I use a gluten free flour blend?
Check out my post full of information on using a gluten free flour blend in place of regular flour in a recipe.