Breakfast and snacks are the hardest for me to do gluten free. It is not so much the making it gluten free, it is the making it gluten free and quick and easy, so I am always looking for new recipes and things to try.
I have never been one that loves scones, but maybe that is because I have never been a huge fan of biscuits. I mean I like biscuits, but I would prefer a slice of warm bread any day over a warm biscuits. I am guessing that is because I am an Oregon girl, not a true southern girl. 🙂
My kids however love biscuits and scones, so I decided that I needed to come up with a gluten free scone they would love and enjoy.
I started out by adapting my sister’s basic dough recipe for scones and it worked great.
I know a lot of you have questioned my use of sweet rice flour in some of my recipes, but in some recipes like these scones, it really does help give them a better and lighter texture.
I have made these four or five times now and my kids love them. We have been keeping them in the freezer and it works great for reheating for breakfast.
I am so happy with this basic dough, that I see lots of different versions of scones in the future.
- 1 1/4 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup dried cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a medium bowl combine sour cream and baking soda, Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together white rice flour, sweet rice flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, baking powder, cream of tartar, and salt.
- To the sour cream mixture ad butter, eggs, and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
- Stir flour mixture into sour cream butter mixture. And stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a silicone mat or parchment paper that has been lightly dusted with cornstarch or rice flour.
- Press out into a round about 1/2- 3/4 inch thick. Slice into triangles, like you would cut a pie.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 12-15 minutes. The time may vary depending on how big your scones are.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 368Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 305mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 26gProtein: 3g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.