This week’s recipe for my Martha Stewart Cooking Challenge is for Martha Stewart’s Zucchini Applesauce Bread.
This quick bread recipe is perfect for summer because it is a delicious way to use up your garden fresh zucchini.
I have taken a few weeks off from my Year of Martha Stewart Cooking Challenge, but I am back with a delicious recipe for zucchini applesauce bread.
Martha Stewart’s Zucchini Applesauce Bread
I will fully admit that I tried this bread because I was curious.
I love applesauce bread. It is a delicious old-fashioned quick bread that uses basic ingredients.
Leave it to Martha Stewart to change it up in a new and interesting way.
Martha Stewart’s Zucchini Applesauce Bread recipe comes from Martha Stewart Living Magazine September 2014.
I changed this recipe up slightly. The original recipe called for part spelt flour and part regular flour. I am sure spelt flour would be delicious in the recipe, but I needed to make it gluten-free and spelt flour is not gluten-free.
Instead of using 1 cup spelt flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour I used 2 cups Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten-free baking flour.
That worked fine for a gluten-free version. If you are not gluten-free I would use part spelt and part all purpose flour or use all all-purpose flour.
My husband and I really like this zucchini applesauce bread. It tasted a little healthier than a lot of quick bread recipes. It definitely tasted more like something you could eat for breakfast instead of just for dessert.
My kids ate the bread fine, but none of them loved it. They are fairly typical teens and college kids and they prefer quick breads to be more dessert like. As in they like them light, fluffy, sweet, and cake like.
This bread is delicious, but it does lean towards a healthier type of quick bread. Although it does still have quite a bit of sugar in it.
- 2 cups all purpose flour or Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour ( see note below )
- 2 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 cups grated zucchini
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 5x10 inch loaf pan. and set aside.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, oil, applesauce, sugar, zucchini, and vanilla.
- Stir in flour mixture. Stirring just until combined.
- Stir in chocolate chips is using.
- Spread batter into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes. Remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
The original recipe called for 1 cup spelt flour and 1 cup all purpose flour. 2 cups regular flour or 2 cups Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour blend can be used as well.
The original recipe also called for 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate. I prefer to leave them out or to use 3/4 cup chocolate chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 362Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 47mgSodium: 310mgCarbohydrates: 55gFiber: 2gSugar: 29gProtein: 6g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.