Mexican Scrambled Eggs are quick, easy, and inexpensive to make and work perfectly for an easy breakfast for dinner meal.
One of the things I plan to do in 2016 is get back to my Cooking Collection series. I shared some recipes for this series in 2015, but not nearly as many as I had hoped to share.
I love this series because it helps me use some of those forgotten cookbooks that have been on my shelves for years. Many of the cookbooks I have are older ones, but those cookbooks often have the best recipes. I also have a few new cookbooks that I am excited to also share about.
I am also thinking about doing a few recipes from some gluten free cookbooks that I own in my gluten free section, so if you are gluten free be sure to look for those coming soon.
The first recipe I am sharing for 2016 is one my family has eaten several times recently. My whole family loved these Mexican scrambled eggs. I loved how quick and easy they are to make. They make a great breakfast for dinner.
The recipe comes from The America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. It is one of my favorite cookbooks. When I was looking up the cookbook on Amazon for this post I realized that they no longer sell this. You can find used copies, but it is no longer in print.
I was a little sad to realize that because this cookbook is one of my favorites. I have used it a ton over the years.
This recipe for Mexican Scrambled Eggs is basically a version of migas. It is cooked a little differently though and I think it makes them even better than the migas I have made before.
If you need a quick and easy breakfast or dinner recipe that is also budget friendly this recipe is perfect. Eggs have gone up in price quite a bit in price, but they are still a pretty cheap source of protein.
This recipe is also gluten free which is a nice bonus for those needing gluten free meals.
Mexican Scrambled Eggs
Mexican scrambled eggs are a quick and easy breakfast or breakfast for dinner.
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup tortillas chips broken into pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green or red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 jalapeno, chopped and (seeded if desired for less heat and more or less depending on how spicy you want it. Green chilies will work too. )
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, tortilla chips, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a non stick skillet or cast iron pan. If using oil just heat the oil in the pan.
- Add the onions, bell peppers, and jalapeno ( or green chilies).
- Cook until onions and peppers are tender. Add garlic. Stir and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add egg mixture to the pan and cook while gently folding, stirring, and scrambling eggs.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until eggs are cooked, but not dry.
Stir in cheese and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 294mgSodium: 312mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 11g
I didn’t see the jalapeno in the recipe ingredients. 🙂
I just fixed it. When the recipe got moved to the new recipe format this summer I think it got left out. Thanks for letting me know so I could get it fixed. I hope you enjoy them!