One Pot Green Chili Rice with Chicken is a quick and easy one pot dinner recipe!
I love one pot meals. They are easy to make and the mess is usually easy to clean up. I have also found that many of them are inexpensive family friendly meals. Meaning they use basic ingredients that my whole family loves.
I made this recipe several times last fall and my family loved it. Life got crazy during the holidays and I never got it shared with you. I knew that I needed to fix that because we can all use more quick and easy one pot meals.
If you don’t have green salsa, I think you could easily change this up and use regular salsa. Although it would no longer be one pot green chili rice. My family likes the flavor of green salsa though and it is a nice way to change up Mexican type food.
And I really had trouble getting good pictures of this. Green rice doesn’t photograph well, so I am just going with these less than perfect photos. Sometimes the best food is the least attractive food. Just keeping it real for you.
One Pot Green Chili Rice with Chicken
- 3-4 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2- 14.5 ounce cans chicken broth
- 1/3 cup water
- 3/4 cup salsa verde
- 2-3 cups cooked chicken, cut into chunks or shredded
- shredded cheese for serving
- Heat oil in a large sauce pan or skillet.
- Add onion and cook over medium heat until onion is tender.
- Add garlic and stir for 1 minute.
- Add rice and cook for 2-3 minutes or until rice starts to lightly brown. Stir often and be careful not to burn the rice. Turn to low heat if necessary.
- Add chicken broth, water, and salsa verde.
- Bring to a boil. Stir well and reduce heat to low, cover pot, and cook for 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Stir in chicken and cook over low heat just until heated through.
- Serve with shredded cheese sprinkled on top.