This pumpkin dump cake that doesn’t use a cake mix is perfect for fall and holiday baking. It is quick and easy to make and since it contains pumpkin it is delicious this time of year.
My mom has been making pumpkin dump cake for years, but like peach dump cake we never called it dump cake. We kept it simple and just called it pumpkin dessert. I think it actually has quite a few names, but whatever you call it it is so good!
My mom always added chopped nuts to hers. I don’t do that because of my daughter’s nut allergy, but you could easily add some chopped nuts to the topping on this.
This can easily be made with a cake mix. That is the original way to make it, but it is also really good made from scratch without the mix. And it is really easy.
Making it without the mix works great for those times that you might not have a mix. I think it is also slightly healthier made without a mix.
Now, I am not saying this is a healthy dessert. It is not. But cake mixes contain a lot of ingredients, when you make it without the mix you know exactly what goes into it.
What I love about dump cakes is how easy they are to make. These go together in no time. If you need a quick and easy dessert dump cakes are about as easy as you can get.
If you are gluten free be sure to check out the gluten free pumpkin dump cake without the cake mix that I shared today as well.
(And yes the pictures are basically the same. I have made this dessert several times now and every time I make it, it gets devoured in no time. My son loves this. Since the gluten free version and the regular version look the same I am just used the same pictures for now. Of course I am sure my son would not mind if I made it one more time to take more pictures.)
- 1 - 15 ounce can pumpkin ( Not pumpkin pie filling, just canned pumpkin)
- 1- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice ( or use 2 teaspoons cinnamon in place of pumpkin pie spice)
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- In a bowl whisk together the pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, 1 cup sugar, and pumpkin pie spice until well combined.
- Spread into a 9x13 pan.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Sprinkle flour mixture over pumpkin mixture.
- Drizzle melted butter over flour mixture. Shake pan slightly to distribute butter a little better over flour mixture.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 417Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 386mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 1gSugar: 45gProtein: 7g