This roast beef and mushroom grilled cheese sandwich is a grilled cheese sandwich taken to a whole new level with the addition of mushrooms and onions.
I love grilled cheese sandwiches. Not only are the delicious they are also a quick and easy lunch or dinner.
Classic grilled cheese sandwiches are great. Just bread, butter, and cheese cooked to perfection. But I also love to change up grilled cheese sandwiches by adding meat, using different kinds of cheese, and things like mushrooms and onions. These things take grilled cheese sandwiches to a whole new level.
The version grilled cheese I am sharing today actually contains onions and mushrooms. I cook the onions and mushrooms until they are tender and slightly browned. They add so much flavor to the sandwich this way.
For the cheese I used provolone. You could easily use a cheddar or another kind of cheese, but the flavor of the provolone pairs well with the roast beef, mushrooms, and onions.
Roast Beef and Mushroom Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 8 slices of bread
- 1 pound sliced or shaved deli style roast beef
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 of an onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon butter, plus more for buttering the bread
- 8 slices of provolone cheese
- In a skillet heat oil and butter until butter is melted.
- Add onions and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat until the onions and mushrooms are tender and slightly browned. Remove from heat.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.
- Place 4 pieces of bread on a griddle or pan with buttered side down.
- Layer with one slice of cheese, meat, onion mushroom mixture, and then another slice of cheese.
- Place another piece of bread on top with butter side out.
- Cook over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Carefully flip sandwich over and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until bread is toasted and the cheese has melted.
- You can also use my tip for oven grilled cheese for cooking these. I love cooking grilled cheese in the oven!