One of my goals for the New Year is to post more slow cooker recipes on my site. I love my crockpot and use it all the time. I actually have several crockpots in different sizes and I use them all a lot. I think most of us enjoy the convenience of using a crockpot. We can put something in it early in the day and have dinner ready when we need it.
This recipe is adapted from a recipe I found in Martha Stewart’s Everyday Food magazine. I was so glad to find a crockpot recipe in her magazine. I really wish they would publish more recipes for the crockpot. I think they would be popular because so many people are busy, but still want home cooked meals.
I like this recipe because it was not only a crockpot meal, it was really easy to put together. You can really easily double or triple this recipe and use it for several days.
You can serve this the first day as tacos with your regular taco toppings. Then the second or third day you can use the meat for burritos, enchiladas, or even in a mexican type soup recipe. It is so nice when I can make a recipe like this and use it for several days.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup prepared tomato salsa, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped canned chipotle chiles in adobo
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 8 taco shells
- serve with beans, (I used my homemade refried beans) lettuce, shredded cheese,sour cream, etc.
- In slow cooker combine chicken, garlic, salsa, chilies, chili powder, 1 teaspoon salt, and teaspoon pepper.
- Cook on high, 4 hours or on low, 8 hours.
- Transfer chicken to a serving bowl, and shred, using two forks; moisten with cooking juices.
- Serve in taco shells, with toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 230Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 114mgSodium: 322mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 24g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.