It is not often that I call something the best recipe, but this recipe really is the best snickerdoodle cookie recipe that we have tried.
This recipe is one that I got from my sister years ago. It is based on a recipe from the early days of All Recipes. And by early days I mean like twenty years ago.
Years ago I shared this recipe, but the post was terrible. I didn’t even include pictures, so I took it down. I decided it was time to bring it back because everyone needs a good homemade snickerdoodle recipe.
If you have never made homemade snickerdoodles you should give them a try.
My husband loves snickerdoodles and I have tried many recipes over the years. This is by far his favorite.
And I am sharing the gluten free version today as well. If you are gluten free be sure to check out my gluten free snickerdoodle cookie recipe.
Snickerdoodles are a buttery cookie rolled in cinnamon and sugar.
In some recipes you can use butter in place of shortening, but in this recipe it really does make a difference. I have tried this recipe with all butter and it just isn’t the same. Yes, it works, but for the best snickerdoodles make it as directed.
Yes, you can snickerdoodles gluten free. A gluten free flour blend like Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Blend will work in this recipe, but for the best gluten free version be sure to check out my gluten free snickerdoodle recipe.
Yes, cookies like snickerdoodles freeze great.
- shortening – Yes shortening. It makes a huge difference in these cookies. It really is what makes them the best snickerdoodles.
- white sugar
- vanilla extract
- all purpose flour or Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Blend
- cream of tarter
- baking soda
The Best Snickerdoodle Cookie Recipe
A family favorite for years!
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour or Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Blend
- 2 teaspoons cream of tarter
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a bowl combine flour, cream of tarter, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine together butter, shortening, sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Beat until smooth.
- Gradually add flour mixture. Mix until combined.
- In a small bowl mix 2 tablespoons sugar and cinnamon.
- Scoop spoonfuls of dough, about 1 tablespoons, and roll into a ball.
- Roll in cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Place on cookie sheet spacing about 2 inches apart.
- Flatten slightly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are lightly golden, but the center is still soft.
- Let cool of cookie sheet for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 93Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 56mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 1g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
Leave a Reply