One of my goals with gluten free baking is to come up with recipes that everyone will love. Yes, even those that are not gluten free can enjoy gluten free food. I want food that is gluten free and that tastes good.
Today’s recipe for gluten free candy cane brownies is just that, it is gluten free, but it is so good everyone will love it. This is a rich and fudgy brownie with crushed candy canes mixed in. The combination of chocolate and candy cane is so good.
And you really can’t tell these are gluten free because the only odd ingredient in these is the cornstarch and that is not odd at all.
If you need a dessert to take somewhere this holiday season, this is a gluten free dessert that everyone will love.
Gluten Free Candy Cane Brownies
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup cornstarch (If you can’t use cornstarch, I am guessing another starch like tapioca or potato would work here, but I have not tried it.)
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 ounces of chocolate chips ( I used semi sweet)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes, plus more for sprinkling on top ( Make sure to read the label to be sure they are gluten free, I think most are, but read the label to be sure.)
- Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a bowl mix together cornstarch, cocoa, cinnamon if using, and salt. Set aside.
- In a microwavable bowl combine butter and chocolate chips.
- Melt in microwave stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Stir sugar, vanilla, and eggs into chocolate.
- Add cornstarch/cocoa mixture and stir until well combined.
- Stir in 1/4 cup crushed candy canes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and sprinkle a few tablespoons of crushed candy canes on top.
- Bake for 32-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
Note: These are a rich and fudgy brownie and I found they cut best when cold. So I refrigerated them until completely cold and then cut them into squares. You do not have to do that, but they will be prettier.