Stir fried cabbage and pork may not be the most photogenic meal I have made, but it is delicious!
I recently bought a wok. I am going to post about it more soon. I want to use it a few more times before I give it a full review. So far I am loving it though.
My wok came with a small recipe booklet like many small appliances and kitchen tools do. Often times I just toss these in the trash, but I was curious about the wok recipes so I took the time to look through the booklet of recipes.
One of the recipes that came with it was for a Chinese cabbage type of stir fry. I found the recipes interesting, but it called for several ingredients that I did not have.
I am sure the recipe was great, but I am a big believer in using what I have on hand. Yes, I will splurge and buy an occasional specialty item, but the best way to keep your grocery budget under control is to use what you have instead of running to the store all the time.
At the time I had a large amount of shredded cabbage in my fridge. It was not the Chinese cabbage the recipe called for, but I thought it would work fine in the recipe. Yes, it would taste and look different, but it would work. And not only would it work, it would help me use up the cabbage and keep it from going to waste.
So, I tweaked the recipe quite a bit to come up with my own version. It ended up being delicious. Even though it was quite a bit different from the original recipe, and I am sure far from authentic, it was delicious. My family loved it and told me I needed to make it again.
What I loved about this meal was how quick, easy, and healthy it was. Stir fried cabbage and pork will definitely be on the menu plan again.
Now I will say that my daughter and I are not big cabbage eaters. My husband and one of my girls love it, but I can usually do without it. This recipe though was delicious. Both my daughter and I really enjoyed it. It had enough flavors going on that we did not mind the cabbage at all, in fact we really liked it. So, if you don’t normally enjoy cabbage this is a recipe you should give a try.
Stir Fried Cabbage and Pork
- 1 pound shredded cabbage
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce- I use gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- sriracha sauce, optional for serving
- In a bowl combine sugar, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar and set aside.
- In a large pan or wok cook pork until browned and done. Remove from pan and drain off any fat. Set meat aside.
- Heat oil in the pan and add cabbage. Stir fry for 2-3 minutes or just until cabbage starts to get tender. You don’t want to over cook the cabbage, you want it slightly tender, but still slightly crisp.
- Add sauce and ginger. Stir a few times and add meat back to pan.
- Stir a to combine well and remove from heat.
- Serve immediately.