So, today I thought it was time for something a little healthier, but still very kid friendly.
This recipe for apple pie oatmeal comes from the Bob’s Red Mill Cookbook: Whole & Healthy Grains for Every Meal of the Day. This is a cookbook I bought quite a few years ago and have really enjoyed it.
Bob’s Red Mill is known for healthy cooking and this cookbook is no exception. The recipes are full of whole grain and healthy ingredients.
I was recently looking for a few new breakfast ideas when I saw an apple pie oatmeal recipe in the Bob’s Red Mill Cookbook. My girls love oatmeal and I love that they love oatmeal, because it is so healthy. And since they love oatmeal so much, I was sure they would enjoy apple pie oatmeal.
This was a delicious and healthy breakfast that everyone in my family enjoyed. Even my son, who is the picky eater of the family, enjoyed this apple pie oatmeal. He even had seconds on it.
This recipe was also easy to adapt for those that eat gluten free in my family simply by using gluten free oats.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg ( I left this out since some in my family do not like nutmeg)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats or old fashioned oats ( I think quick oats would work here also if you adjusted the cooking time.) Use gluten free oats for gluten free version
- 1 1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- In a saucepan heat butter and brown sugar over medium heat until melted and blended. This takes 1-2 minutes.
- Add apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until apple is slightly cooked and has released some of its juices.
- Add oats and cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir constantly to avoid it sticking.
- Add apple juice and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 7-10 minutes or until oatmeal is thick and apple are soft.
- Serve with additional brown sugar and apples if desired.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 298mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 6gSugar: 18gProtein: 6g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.