Need an easy recipe for breakfast, lunch, or dinner? Try oven fried potatoes. It is the easy way to make fried potatoes.
Fried potatoes are the perfect comfort food. Or at least I think they are.
I mean really, who does not love bacon and potatoes cooked together until browned and delicious.
Today’s recipe is an easy and delicious take on your basic fried potatoes. These are so easy to make because you bake them in the oven.
The trick on getting oven fried potatoes to turn out like real fried potatoes is the bacon grease. Yes, the bacon grease. Bacon makes everything better.
Don’t skimp on the the bacon grease or you will end up with oven potatoes instead of oven fried potatoes. Really these are so worth it for that extra special treat!
Oven fried potatoes go with just about any chicken, steak, or pork chop type dinner. But we also love these for breakfast or breakfast for dinner.
Serve these with an egg on the side and you have comfort food at its best. And not only is it comfort food, but this is an inexpensive meal or side dish to serve.
What kind of potato should you use for oven fried potatoes?
For these oven potatoes just about any potato will work, but I find that a baking type potato works the best. They crisp up and have the best texture with a baking potato.
Although they are also delicious made with gold or yellow potatoes too.
- 1/2 pound bacon, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 pounds potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch of so chunks or sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese- optional but really good.
- In a skillet cook bacon and onion until bacon is cooked, but not crisp and onion is tender.
- Mix bacon and onion mixture with potatoes, add salt, and stir well. You want several tablespoons to 1/4 of a cup of bacon grease mixed in with this. That will give you the fried taste and texture.
- Place in a large casserole dish or sheet pan. You do not want to crowd the pan or the potatoes will not brown.
- Cook potatoes at 375 for 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are done.
- Sprinkle with cheese, if using, and cook 2-4 more minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 325Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 35mgSodium: 673mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 16g
Originally posted October 2012. Updated January 2021.