Buttermilk Chocolate Bread

This recipe is adapted from a recipe in a cookbook that I own. It is Pillsbury Best Muffins and Quick Breads. I really like this cookbook and I have found quite a few good recipes in it. Check to see if your library has this book, you will enjoy it.

My family really enjoys muffins and quick breads for breakfasts and snacks. This recipe is not exactly healthy considering that it has chocolate and chocolate chips in it, but it is so good.

I do think this is much healthier than a store bought muffin, bread, or cake mix would be. It is homemade so it does not contain all the preservatives and stuff that store bought items and mixes contain.

I hope you give this one a try.

Well, Lynn, you know I love chocolate and I love your recipes…. so, this is another winner!

2. Homemade bread… it always has something that store bought can’t. LOVE!

3. Raggedy Girl says:

I want to try making my own butter and what a fun way to use the buttermilk in this yummy recipe. Thank you.
    Roberta Anne

4. Oooh, you appeal to my tastebuds with this one. Chocolate is a veggie right?! 😀

5. That LOOKS so amazingly good, but probably not compatible with trying to lose weight. Oh it looks good though.

6. looks good! another recipe I can put in my book that uses buttermilk! Oh and I can’t forget the chocolate. :)

7. I made chocolate bread once and it did not turn out so well., This looks a little different, I bet the buttermilk helps

8. I know that I would like that bread. Chocolate and buttermilk in baking are always a hit.
    I really like the pan, too. The color is pretty and the edge is unique.

9. Oh yum! This sounds great! I can totally do this one.

And btw ANYthing you make at home has much less fat and calories and everything else than the exact same thing you buy at a bakery or store. Seriously. Calculate the calories in a cookie you make and then look up one online. It’s ridiculous and makes me want to only eat from scratch foods again (not that I actually do but…) 😉

10. I am such a chocoholic this sounds dreamy!

11. KrustyTheCat says:

Yummy!! Think I just found a new recipe to try out this weekend!

12. KrustyTheCat says:

Yummy! I think I found what recipe I want to make this weekend!

13. A happy heart at home says:

This sounds wonderful! Thanks for the recipe.

14. This looks yummy! I just printed it out. It will definitely go in my “to try” pile :)

15. Hi Lynn,
    Just wanted you to know I tried this bread yesterday. It was yummy. Love those chocolate chips :) I couldn’t find the Pillsbury muffin book you recommended, but found another “best of the bake-offs” book of theirs so placed an order for that. I can’t wait to try some more Pillsbury recipes. Thanks for pointing us to this resource :)

16. Momma Roar says:

Just made this today and my family loved it!! Thanks!!

By the way, did you know they sell powdered buttermilk? I love it – it is nice to use when you find a new recipe and you don’t want to run to the store for one ingredient. Just thought I’d pass that along in case you didn’t know. :-)

Leigh Ann

• Yes, they do sell powdered buttermilk. I got mine at Wal-Mart in the baking aisle….you really have to look for it though!!! It comes in a short canister.

17. This was fabulous! I made it yesterday for the first time and it sure won’t be the last! I found your post about using it for muffins and I will definitely be trying it that way too. I love all the ideas I find on your blog. Thank you! I also posted this recipe on my blog today and linked it back to you here. It’s too good not to share!

Cathy ♥

18. Oh my goodness. I’ve got to try this bread. This looks WONDERFUL!

Think I could get away with this for breakfast? Hmm. The family would love it, but the sugar crash would probably kill us.

19. I made this on Sunday and my nephews ate it up like candy!! Today, I made it again but I ran out of chocolate chips, so I used butterscotch chips instead. It’s in the oven baking.

20. Cyndi Mooney says:

ANYTHING home made is better than store bought in my opinion. Since I’m a chocoholic, I’m going to have to try this out! Looks YUMMY! Thanks for sharing!

21. Donna English says:

I made this yesterday but made it into four (3″x6″) loaves instead of one big one. It is really good! Love it! TFS

22. Nivedita says:

I made this as muffins last two times, but today made into a bundt (medium sized) for a family birthday. It baked up in about 50 minutes. I just love how simple this recipe is but how fabulous the crumb always is.

23. Just made these today…
    Addictive! 😀

1. […] Chocolate Buttermilk Muffins (with some healthier changes) […]

2. […] Brunch–Scrambled Eggs w/ Cream Cheese & Herbs, Clementines, Buttermilk Chocolate Bread […]