My dad loves bean with bacon soup. It is one of his favorite comfort foods when he is sick. My mom always tries to keep a few cans of bean with bacon soup on hand just for my dad.
Bean with bacon soup is actually one of the few canned soups that I remember eating as a kid. We did not eat much canned soup, but bean with bacon soup was one canned soup we often had in the cupboard.
I have never really been a fan of canned soup though. Even as a kid I did not really enjoy it. Yes I would eat it, but I never really liked it.
I have always preferred homemade soup and bean with bacon soup is no exception. The homemade version so much better than the canned version. It is so easy and inexpensive to make, and tastes so much better.
And big bowl of this is perfect for a cold day.
Slow Cooked Bean with Bacon Soup
- 3 cans navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 lb bacon, cooked and diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 cups milk
- Cook onion in oil until tender and slightly browned.
- Place cooked onion, chicken broth, beans, bacon, and molasses into a crockpot. Stir well and cook on low for 2-3 hours
- Add milk, stir well, and cook 30-40 minutes more or until completely heated through. Salt to taste and serve.
This post linked to Frugal Fridays.