Fried rice is the perfect quick and easy meal.
And not only is it quick and easy, it is an inexpensive meal to make because it contains basic ingredients that almost everyone keeps in their kitchen.
It is also a healthy meal and can be made even healthier by using more vegetables and brown rice instead of white rice.
One of the things I love about fried rice is that you can vary it so much. I like to use ground pork or bacon, but you could easily use chicken for this.
We like carrots in ours, but you can add peas or other vegetables.
If I have fresh ginger I add it, if not I just use ground ginger, or leave it out all together. If you want to go meatless, add more vegetables and leave the meat out.
Really, this is a basic recipe that you can change up every time you make it.
How do you make your fried rice?
Pork Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ lb of ground pork, or ½ lb bacon cho9pped
- 2 carrots, shredded
- ½ cup frozen peas (optional, I do not like peas so I usually leave them out )
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Mix together 2 tablespoons of soy sauce with the eggs and beat well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet or wok.
- Add egg to pan. Swirl and scrape egg to cook, basically you are scrambling this, but do not over cook it. You want this to error on the side of not done because you will be adding this back to the pan later on.
- Remove egg from pan and set aside.
- Return pan to stove. Add the meat and crumble and brown until meat is done. You want the pieces of meat pretty fine for this
- Drain off all but a few tablespoons of fat. If you are using a lean mean you will not have any fat to drain off.
- Add garlic, carrots, peas, and rice and cook for 3-4 or until vegetables are tender and rice is starting to brown.
- Add the egg back to the pan along with the remaining soy sauce and the rice vinegar. Let cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add more soy sauce to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!