I recently bought some cauliflower. I got a good deal on it so I decided to buy it. However, I did not get it used. It was not looking so good but it was not quite bad enough to throw out. I did not want to throw it out anyway because that would be a waste. So, I wanted to find a way to use it.
I decided to use my broccoli soup recipe but use the cauliflower instead. I was not sure how it would turn out but I thought it was worth a try. It was. It was really good and a great way to use up cauliflower that is not at it’s best. And this is a great alternative to those of you who do not like broccoli.
- 5 cups cauliflower (if you have a little more or a little less that is fine)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk or 1/2 & 1/2 (1/2 & 1/2 does taste better but I usually use milk)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour or gluten free flour blend for gf version
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- Optional - bacon, cooked and chopped
- Steam cauliflower until tender, about six to eight minutes.
- Chop finely. I do mine in the food processor because we like it really chopped up and it is quicker. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan combine broth and milk. Slowly whisk in flour.
- Cook over med to med high heat stirring. Cook until it starts to thicken but not too thick. I usually do it until it just starts to boil.
- Add chopped cauliflower.
- Reduce heat to med low.
- Continue to cook about 5 minutes.
- Add cheese stir until cheese melts.
- Serve. If using bacon sprinkle each bowl with a little.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 253Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 987mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 14g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.