I mentioned a few weeks ago that The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten-Free has changed the way my girls feel about gluten free baking. They actually enjoy gluten free baking now thanks to the book and a few gluten free cake mixes.
When I bought the book a few months ago, my girls went through it and marked several recipes that they wanted to try. It was a wide range of recipes because they have very different likes and dislikes. They also had to rule out a few that contained nuts or peanut butter.
The first recipe they decided to try was the blueberry muffins. I thought it looked like a very easy recipe and would be a great place to start.
I decided to just turn the kitchen over to them. I was not going to help them at all. I made them do all the work and this was the first time I had done that with gluten free baking.
And I have to admit it was not easy, but I am glad I did it. The muffins turned out great and they loved the fact that they made muffins the whole family could enjoy.
And we did enjoy them. These blueberry muffins did not last long in our house. They really were good.
I will say though that the batter on these looked a bit strange when my girls were making them. It kind of curdled and just did not look like a normal muffin batter. In fact, I walked by when they were mixing them and thought they would never turn out right, but they did.
The texture and taste was very good, so I am guessing it was the acid in the orange juice that reacted with something that changed the texture. However, I also think that the acid in the orange juice also made these so moist and tender.
- 1- 15ounce yellow gluten free cake mix ( I used general mills)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ cup orange juice
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
For the muffins:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 18 paper muffin/cupcake liners and set aside.
- Measure out 1 tablespoons of the cake mix and set aside. Place the remaining cake mix and the sugar, ¾ cup orange juice, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl. Beat on medium low speed. Until combined.
- Toss the blueberries with the reserved dry cake mix. Fold blueberries into the batter. Scoop into lined muffin tins.
- Place in the oven and bake for 19-22 minutes or until done. Cool 20 minutes. Then glaze.
For the glaze:
- Whisk together the powdered sugar and the 2 tablespoons of orange juice.
- Drizzle over muffins.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 194Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 45mgSodium: 225mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
Adapted from the Cake Mix Doctor.