Today’s recipe for my Gluten Free Way series is a delicious gluten free lemon cookie.
I love lemon. I love the flavor of it, but I also love how well it works in gluten free baking. The acidity in the lemon helps the taste and texture of gluten flours.
This recipe is adapted from several recipes that I found online, but it is closest to this one. So if you are not gluten free, give these Lemon Sugar Cookies a try. Although I would probably use my lemon glaze, because extra lemon is always a good thing.
For these cookies I used my favorite gluten free flours for cookies. Sweet rice flour is one of my favorite things to add to gluten free desserts. The texture is so much better with sweet rice flour.
I haven’t tried it, but these cookies would probably work fairly well with Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour blend. That blend has sweet rice flour in it and usually works well for cookies. Just use the blend in place of the rice flour, sweet rice flour, cornstarch, and gum.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest or 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cup white rice flour
- 1 cup sweet rice flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- ¾ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl combine baking powder, baking soda, salt, white rice flour, sweet rice flour, cornstarch, and xanthan gum. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Add vanilla, lemon juice, and lemon zest or extract. Mix until combined.
- Slowly mix in flour mixture.
- Using about 2 tablespoons of dough, roll into balls and place on cookie sheet several inches apart. Flatten slightly.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Let cool on cookie sheet for 3-5 minutes. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- In a small bowl whisk together powdered sugar and lemon juice and drizzle over cooled cookies.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 148Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 104mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 0gSugar: 14gProtein: 1g