You often see pumpkin rolls during the fall and holidays. They are one of those desserts that make a great presentation with the swirls of cream cheese rolled up inside the cake.
Pumpkin rolls always make for an impressive dessert.
A pumpkin roll was one of those things that I have been wanting to convert to gluten free for awhile, but had not gotten around to it. This year though, I was determined to give it a try, and last week I finally did it.
Over the years I have made quite a few pumpkin roll and jelly roll type cakes, but never gluten free. So, I was a little nervous about this working right. Jellyrolls and rolled cakes like this are not hard to make, but they do take a little work and can be a bit difficult when it comes to not cracking the cake when you roll it.
The gluten free version though worked perfectly. I was surprised at how well this worked. In fact, I think that the gluten free version rolled up easier, and was easier to work with, than the regular version I used to make.
I love it when a gluten free version turns out better than I expected. This cake will be a new holiday favorite for my family.
My daughter’s birthday is this week and she loves pumpkin. She often chooses something pumpkin for her birthday and this year she asked me to make this cake for her birthday cake.
That tells you how much she enjoyed this gluten free pumpkin roll. I just made it and she already wants it again for her birthday cake. And really I won’t complain because this was so good that I am glad to have a reason to make it again.
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- powdered sugar for dusting on towel
- 8 ounce package cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Line a 15x10 inch jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Lightly grease parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine rice flour, potato starch, tapioca starch, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl combine eggs and sugar and beat until thick and creamy. This will take a few minutes.
- Add pumpkin and mix until combined.
- Add in flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Spread onto parchment paper and bake for 13-15 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.
- Place a kitchen towel on the counter and sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.
- Carefully flip warm cake onto towel. Carefully peel back parchment paper.
- Roll cake up, rolling cake and towel together.
- Set aside to cool completely.
- Beat filling ingredients until smooth and well combined.
- Carefully unroll cooled cake and spread filling onto cake .
- Roll cake back up removing the towel.
- Wrap cake in plastic wrap. Wrap this tightly so that it will not unroll.
- Refrigerate for several hours to firm up before serving.
- Slice pumpkin roll and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 328Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 243mgCarbohydrates: 49gFiber: 1gSugar: 37gProtein: 4g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.