In our house we seem to go through more snacks during the summer than we do during the rest of the year. Does anyone else have this problem?
There is something about playing hard outside, working in the garden, the kids swimming, and just the general business of summer that makes my kids think they are starving all the time.
I usually offer them healthy snacks like fruit, cheese, or smoothies, but my kids are like all kids and they like special treats. So, summertime for me is the perfect time to make fun snacks to keep on hand.
However, with the heat of the summer, I don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen with the oven on. What I love are no bake snacks that are quick and easy to put together.
In the past I have made Muddy Buddies, but since my daughter has developed her peanut allergy we can no longer have Muddy Buddies. We love Snow Buddies (I now leave the nuts out of the Snow Buddies when I make them), but I have been looking for something a little different.
I was recently looking around the Chex Cereal site for variations of their mixes that I could make and I came across a lemon version of their muddy buddies. Well, I love lemon and I love chex mix type snacks, so I knew this was a recipe I would enjoy.
And I enjoyed this a little too much. Seriously this is one of those things that I just kept snacking on and so did my kids. It is now a favorite snack,
We love it and it makes the perfect summertime treat.
- 9 cups chex cereal ( rice or corn)
- 1 ½ cups white chocolate chips
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Place cereal in a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine white chocolate chips, butter, and lemon juice in a bowl. Microwave until melted and smooth. I heat at 50% power and stir every 30 seconds.
- Carefully stir melted chocolate into cereal and stir to combine.
- Add powdered sugar to coat. (The easiest way I have found to do this is place the chocolate-coated cereal into a ziploc bag and add powdered sugar. Toss and mix to coat.)
- Spread on cookie sheet to cool and hardened.
If you are gluten-free be sure to use gluten-free Chex.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 383Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 19mgSodium: 290mgCarbohydrates: 61gFiber: 2gSugar: 38gProtein: 4g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
Adapted from Chex ( I can never stick to a recipe, so yes I changed a few things.)