Gluten Free Bread Machine Bread

Gluten free bread is one of the gluten free things that I have dreaded making. I did not want to tackle it. I have had so many gluten free failures that I knew gluten free bread was sure to give me trouble, but my family misses bread, so I knew I needed to try.

I started out buying a loaf of store bought bread once in a while, but honestly, that was really hard. Not only am I eating gluten free my daughter is also eating gluten free (she is doing amazingly better, more on that in another post). My daughter especially finds it hard to have bread and other gluten products around. Because of this my husband and I have decided to make the house almost completely gluten free, therefore, bread free.

We have a few things and some breakfast cereal and that is about all the gluten that is in the house. The trouble with this is the rest of the family misses things like bread. Overall, they have been really good about the new diet, but I know they miss bread.

I also did not realize how much I used bread as a filler item. Not quite enough soup for dinner, serve bread. Pasta for dinner, than of course you need bread. In a hurry and no time for lunch, just quickly make sandwiches. I really did not realize how much bread we ate until we no longer had it.

So, I decided to tackle gluten free bread in my bread machine. Last month I posted about the bread machine I bought on sale at Macy’s usingEbates. I have now used it quite a bit and I love it. It has made gluten free bread easy.

This bread even slices well for sandwiches. My kids were so excited to have sandwiches again and so was I. I did not know I would enjoy a sandwich so much, but after almost 3 months without sandwiches, it was nice to have one again.

I will say that this is not the healthiest bread, but we are not eating this all the time. I hope to tweak it and try adding some healthier gluten free flours, but I really think it might change it too much. So, for now we are eating and enjoying this gluten free sandwich bread.

Comments

1. I have made this bread recipe also. It is really quite good for sandwiches.
    .-= flora´s last blog ..Hash Browns =-.

2. Marcy Smith says:

I recently found a new gluten-free frozen bread at the Commissary at Little Rock Air Force Base. The Commissary had honey-multigrain and raisin cinnamon. I love the raisin cinnamon for a quick snack. I have a toaster with a defrost mode and set browning to a medium setting. The bread came from:

French Meadow Bakery
    1000 Apollow Road
    Eagan MN 55121

3. Will the bread machine GF bread work with conventional baking?
    Our bread maker died and I don’t think it is in the budget to replace until Christmas-but the oven works :)
    Also, do you have a suggestion for a replacement for the milk powder?
    Thanks so much–just found your blog today and I’m very excited!

• I think this would work great in the oven, just be sure to mix/beat it together really well. I am not sure what you could use to replace the milk powder in this. Milk in the recipe helps give this the nice texture that it has. I hope that helps.

• Nanabella says:

I would think that any non-dairy milk (soy, rice, almond, hemp) would do… but you would maybe have to cut back on some of the liquid… worth trying!

• Cathy, My bread machine died and I found a nice one at our local Goodwill for about $5. It doesn’t have the GF cycle, but it has a quick cycle. It makes a decent loaf of bread in 58 min!

• A great replacement for the milk powder is Vance’s Darifree powder. Whole foods carries it in my area. They also have a website, http://www.gfcf-foods.com/, if you can’t find it in your area.

• Thanks for that tip. I have never heard of it, but will have to watch for it next time I go to Whole Foods.

4. I made this today for the first time in a breadman plus bread machine. My daughter and I really liked it. I was unsure if it was 1- 1.5 lb or 2 lb…I chose 2 and it was perfect. It sliced beautifully with a serated knife. It has a nice texture and flavor.

I did let all of the ingredients get to room temp first – I don’t know if that helps or not. I followed the recipe EXACTLY.

Thank you, Lynn.

5. A suggestion for the milk powder substitute would be to eliminate the powder and use soy or almond milk instead of the water. I don’t know if this would change the texture, but it might be worth a try.
    My mom recently went gluten free and is feeling so much better. I have been reading up on things to help her if I can. I know how difficult it is to eliminate wheat, since I was allergic to it, plus eggs and milk, as a child. My mom read so many labels and tried so hard to feed me healthy food, that I want to help her now.
    Thanks for sharing your recipes.

6. What if we wanted to avoid powdered milk? Is there a way to avoid it? Any tips?

Also, do you think canola oil would work the same way?

• The recipe does call for canola oil. Did you mean something else? Also, I know many people need to avoid dairy, but in this recipe I think it is what helps give it the right taste and texture and I have never tried to substitute anything else for it.

7. I have really missed bread as well (didn’t realize how much until I read your post). :) I have thought about purchasing a bread machine to make GF bread with, but have no idea what kind to buy! Lynn, which one do you have, and are there others that anyone might recommend? Thanks!

8. Sunshine says:

What size loaf is this?? 1, 1.5 or 2 lb? Thanks

• I usually make a 2 lb loaf with it, but I have done the 1.5 lb size by mistake though and it turned out ok also. I hope that helps.

9. I know how hard it is to go gluten free all of a sudden. It definitely will take some time getting used to. But there are plenty of wheat free recipes on the net that could be a great help with this transition. I remember I came upon a few homemade bread recipes that uses grains instead of wheat. They are definitely healthier options too apparently. Try looking for bread recipes that contain quinoa, or flaxseed. :)

10. Sandy McCormack says:

Hi Lynn,

Please could you recommend at temp for a conventional oven and a time for baking. I prefer to make gluten-free bread in an oven, the loaves are a more user-friendly shape. Can’t wait to try this recipe. Thanks.

• I have never made this in the oven, but my I have made other gluten free breads in the oven. So, I would guess you would bake it at 350 for 35-40 minutes, but that is just a guess from what I have done with other loaves. i hope it works.

11. I’ve made over 10 loaves of this recipe to isolate a really bad smell/taste coming from it. I finally got it down to my Red Star Active Dry Yeast combined with rice flour. When I use instant (a.k.a. rapid rise) yeast with the rice flour, I don’t experience the strong odor and taste. Have you experienced this before?

I buy my yeast at Costco ($3.95 for 1 or 2 pounds…can’t recall which) and then freeze my active yeast upon an online recommendation. That way, I get more usage. I read that active yeast has a more yeasty flavor, but I don’t have a problem with it when combined with wheat flour.

• Wow. That is interesting. The science behind baking and gf can do weird things. I use mainly SAF yeast, so I have not tried the Red Star in this, but that will be helpful to others if they have this issue, so thanks for letting me know. I will be sure to avoid using it in this recipe. And thanks for making 10 loaves to get it right. I am surprised you did not give up. :)

• Thanks! I’ll have to look for good distributor of SAF yeast or maybe I can try Red Star again without freezing it this time. My husband got me a Zoji 2 paddle breadmaker for my birthday (I gave him a hint that I really wanted this). I was so anxious to make fresh-baked GF bread that mimics Udi’s white bread that I guess you can say that I was on a mission. I crossed referenced at least 9 recipes and eliminated ingredients to get the texture and color of my favorite white bread. It still needs some work, but here’s what I have so far….

Dry Ingredients:
        2-1/2 c. rice flour
        2/3 c. corn starch
        1 T. xanthan gum
        1-1/4 t. salt

Wet Ingredients:
        1-1/2 c. warm water
        2 T. sugar
        2 T. vegetable oil
        2-1/4 t. instant/rapid rise yeast
        1 t. apple cider vinegar
        2 egg whites (optional, produces a fluffier larger loaf)

• Hi Lynn,

I used SAF yeast and the taste went away. Thank you so much for the recommendation.

BTW…I tried every recipe from my gluten-free cookbooks and online. After making over 40 loaves of bread in my 2 paddle Zojirushi machine, I finally perfected my own gluten-free bread machine recipe. I’m so excited about it…lovely crispy crunchy crust and marvelous tender texture inside (medium crust setting on my Zoji)….very close to sourdough or french bread. Since you’ve shared so many wonderful recipes, I thought I’d share one that is truly worthwhile in case you are interested…

Wet:
          1-1/2 c. water
          2 T. canola oil
          3 egg whites, beaten
          1 T. apple cider vinegar

Dry:
          2-1/4 c. white rice flour
          3/4 c corn starch
          1 T. xanthan gum
          1-1/2 t. salt
          2 T. sugar

Top layer:
          2-1/4 (or 1 pkg) active yeast

My homemade settings on the Zoji are:
          10 min. preheat
          18 min. knead
          1 hr. rise
          1 hr. 10 min bake
          0 min. keep warm.

I let the bread cool for 5 minutes before shaking/tapping it out from the pan.

Based on my experience, I get an even better flavor if I subtitute the oil with butter and the water with milk. But, I’m keeping my recipe dairy-free for my 5th grade daughter who is dairy intolerant.

Julie

12. Glad I found this site. Could I use either white or brown rice flour in this recipe? Also, would Egg Beaters egg whites only be an acceptable substitute for real egg whites? This is the first site I’ve discovered where a reply was actually provided by the site host. WOW! Thanks!

• Hi Peg, I try to reply to all questions as I have time. Thanks for noticing. :) On the bread, I think you could easily use part brown rice flour in place of the white rice flour. I am not sure I would start will all brown rice. I would maybe use part brown rice and see what it does. I need to try it that way because others have asked me the same thing. It might work with all brown rice, but I am not sure. I have never used the egg beaters for baking anything, but again I think it is probably worth a try, especially if you have had success in using them in other recipes. If you give it a try I would love to hear how it turns out.

• Hi Lynn,

In the process of researching breadmakers (WOW what a chore) and breads. I am borrowing my friend’s older Black and Decker (don’t know the model), but need to make bread that is not only gluten-free, but low-glycemic and dairy-free. So rice flours are not an option. I made my first batch… came out slimy and I didn’t have a recipe for the right size, but I am encouraged… thanks for your info.

13. I have had great success replacing one cup of the white rice flour with one cup of organic coconut flour. My husband and daughter LOVE it! I have discovered that I am lactose-intolerant recently, so I no longer keep the powdered milk. In its place, I have been using 3 T of a non-dairy, non-soy, GF, etc. dry milk replacer made from maltodextrin from organic potatoes. It has only made the texture of our GF and non-GF bread even better. We LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this recipe, and I was relieved to find a way to make it dairy-free (we have even replaced the eggs with water and cornstarch on occasion).

14. This is absolutely the BEST recipe for gluten free white bread using a bread machine. I have tried so many different recipes and all ended up either too dry or with a weird taste. This one is totally awesome! I did add 3 T. Expandex to the recipe and the taste, smell and texture is wonderful! Thank you for this great recipe, Lynn!

15. We love this bread and I have tried to find the nutritional facts, esp. calories. Have not had success on Bob’s Red Mill site or with recipe nutritional evaluator. Does any one know where to find this info? Thanks

16. Hello. I found this recipe, and wondered if you don’t have apple cider vinegar, can you use regular vinegar? This sounds like such a wonderful recipe.

17. Is this recipe for a 1, 1 1/2, or 2lb?

18. NutritionData.com seems to let you enter a recipe and get nutritonal data (in response to one of the commenters who was interested in that).

19. I just bought a breadmaker that makes 1 lb loaves. Any tips on converting this recipe for a 1 lb loaf machine?

• I would just figure out that amounts and decrease it. And I am sorry that it took so long for me to get back to you.

20. THANK YOU! This bread is absolutely wonderful! I ventured into baking my own GF bread yesterday. I made 3 different recipes. 2 recipes from Food.com – Gluten Free 5 Grain Bread , Gluten-Free Flax Bread , and your Bread Machine bread. I did substitute 1/4 cup each brown rice flour and sweet rice flour for part of the flour. Both of the other recipes are good, the flax one is a bit grassy tasting, not sure if it was the garfava flour or the sorghum I used in my flour blend. But yours is wonderful wonderful wonderful!! It really tastes like a nice homemade wheat bread.
    I used the 2 lb setting on medium crust, and had to extend the baking time about 10 -12 minutes.
    I am looking forward to trying some of your other GF recipes. Thanks for sharing!

21. My bread machine said to add the yeast into a well into the flour, but make sure it don’t touch the water. What will happen if I mix it with the liquid? What’s the difference rapid and active yeast?

• Most bread machine recipes have you mixing the yeast with the dry ingredients, not the wet and that is how I have always done it for a bread machine, so I am not sure what difference it would make. Rapid rise yeast is milled different/smaller. It gives you a fast rise, but I think changes the flavor and texture some, so I prefer active yeast. I hope that helps.

22. Do you have to use a gluten free bread making machine, or will my standard bread machine work? I have found when I bake gluten free bread it tends to almost burn on the outside before the inside is done. So I am wondering if I should pull out my bread machine and give that a try. It doesn’t seem to matter if I cover the bread with foil while it is baking. I even bought an oven thermometer to make sure my oven thermostat was working right. I haven’t tried your bread recipe yet and thought I would give it a try. I have baked for many years and when I bake something I want it to be REALLY good. I am tired of baking bread and throwing it away. I want to bake a bread that is nicely brown on the outside and fully cooked on the inside. Plus, good tasting, not being dry, and rising properly bread. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

• I used to love to bake bread, cinnamon rolls, all kinds of yeast things, baking the same things gf is not as easy. So, I totally understand what you mean. And when it comes to bread products it is tough to get the same results. I agree gf bread does not bake as evenly and the results are much more inconsistent. What turns out once may not turn out again. I like this recipe and it works great with a bread machine. I use the gf setting since mine has it, but I am not sure it is necessary. I have made pretty good gf bread, but honestly we just eat less of it since it is not quite the same. Not sure I helped answer your question, but just know it is not just you that struggles with gf bread and yeast products.

• Hi Lynn, I will give my bread machine a try. I, like you, have baked cinnamon rolls, and many types of yeast breads for years. My mother tells me that there isn’t a bakery anywhere that compares to my cinnamon rolls. I don’t know about that, but I do know that I am pretty comfortable in my baking skills. So, to go from that to trying to figure out gluten free breads has me totally frustrated. I don’t even eat bread that often. I have figured out muffins, cookies, and lots of other stuff, but bread! Grrrrr! I will let you know how I do with your recipe and my beard machine. Thank you for listening and taking the time to reply. Cathy

• Oh I totally understand the Grrrrrrr when it comes to gf baking. I feel like I had to learn to bake all over again, especially when it comes to yeast bread. Everything is so different with gluten free. We all understand and that is why I love my gluten free section. My readers get it. You all understand this journey and what it is about.

23. Linda Gilman says:

Can you give me the recipe for a 1# breadmaker??

24. Dorothy Ingram says:

I made this loaf today, it was my first loaf of Gluten free bread it turned out beautiful .Thanks

25. I tried this recipe last night, I’m so sad, it didn’t turn out. I had to throw the entire thing out. It wasn’t cooked all the way, and it didn’t mix up correctly in my bread machine. But, I’m not giving up on it. I’m going to try premixing the liquid and dry ingredients and then add them into the bread machine. My bread machine is about 15 yrs old. I used the normal bread 1 1/2 lb loaf option. Do you have any suggestions for me? Other than buying a new bread machine :)

• I am not sure what happened. It could be your bread machine. I would maybe try to make the dough part in the bread machine if it has a dough option and cook it in the oven. That might help it mix better and cook right.

26. What size loaf does this make. I have a 1.5 lb machine