I found this recipe quite a few years ago. I have made it many times since then. If you have read my blog long you know that I send a lot of treats to my husband’s office. But not only do I send treats to work, sometimes I send treats home with the staff members. I like to occasionally send things home for their families to enjoy.
Several years ago we had a staff member who’s son was allergic to eggs. This made it hard to find cookies and other treats to bake for them. When I first saw this recipe I knew it would be perfect for this family, because it does not have eggs in it. And you don’t miss the eggs in this. They are really good.
The other thing that I love about this recipe is the combination of chocolate and toffee. How can you go wrong combining those two things. Chocolate and toffee are one of my favorite things to combine.
I hope you enjoy these.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup toffee bits ( I buy the bits that you find near the chocolate chips, but heath or skor candy bars work also.)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup toffee bits ( see note above)
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cocoa and baking soda. Whisk the water, oil, vinegar and vanilla until smooth.
- Gradually add to dry ingredients just until combined.
- Stir in toffee bits. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa; set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and 1/2 cup cocoa mixture until smooth.
- Add milk, vanilla and remaining cocoa mixture; beat until desired spreading consistency is reached.
- Stir in 3/4 cup toffee bits.
- Frost cupcakes.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- This makes about 15 cupcakes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 340Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 145mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 1gSugar: 37gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
Adapted from Taste Of Home.