Mexican style rice is a favorite in our house and is a recipe that I have been making for years. In fact, we have it so often as a side dish to Mexican or Tex-Mex type meals, that my family has grown a little tired of it.
So, I recently decided to change it up a bit by adding cheese. Cheese makes everything better right?! It is one of those things that is like bacon and chocolate, everything is better with cheese.
I know adding the cheese to this makes it a little less healthy, but by adding the cheese it changed it up just enough that my family thought they were eating something different. They had no idea all I did was add cheese to the same recipe I always make.
What I love about this rice is that it is so versatile. You can serve it with some refried beans and a salad for a simple dinner. You can serve it with chips and beans for another simple meal idea. Serve it for lunch with a few tortilla chips and fruit. Or add it to a meal of tacos or enchiladas to make the main dish serve a few more people.
This is such a simple and inexpensive dish and is perfect for almost any meal.
Mexican Style Rice
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar, colby jack, or a Mexican blend cheese
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add rice. Cook, stirring constantly, until puffed and golden.
- While rice is cooking, sprinkle with salt and cumin. Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Stir in shredded cheese until melted.
- Serve and enjoy!