I will just start with saying that I know hamburger helper may not be on the top of your list of foods to recreate at home, but I have several homemade versions that I make and my kids love them.
They are quick and easy to make and are a very kid friendly dinner idea, so I though they would be fun to share with you. Today we are starting with Homemade Cheeseburger Helper.
I love the fact that this is a quick and easy dinner that uses basic ingredients that I have on hand. We all need more meals that are not only quick and easy to make, but that don’t break the budget to serve. And being kid friendly makes them even better.
I know many of you may keep Hamburger Helper type meals in your pantry, and I totally get why, but you really need to try a homemade version because they are really good.
In fact, we think they are much better because you get the taste of homemade, not all the other stuff that comes with it.
And if you like homemade versions like this, stay tuned for more make at home recipes as part of my new series for 2013.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 cup beef broth ( I usually make this up using a bouillon and water)
- 1 3/4 cup milk ( If you are using gluten free pasta it might need a little more milk/liquid)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups macaroni noodles or gluten free noodles
- 1 cup sour cream ( optional, but makes it nice and creamy)
- 1 ½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt to taste
- In a large sauce pan brown the ground beef. Drain any fat from the meat.
- Add the beef broth, milk, and tomato sauce to the meat and bring to a boil.
- Add the macaroni noodles.
- Reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 17-20 minutes. Test at 17 minutes to see if the pasta is done. If pasta is not done, cook a few minutes longer.
- When the pasta is tender and done, stir in shredded cheese and sour cream if using.
- Let sit 5- 10 minutes before serving and it will thicken more.
If you are gluten-free use gluten-free pasta and read labels to make sure that your ingredients are gluten-free.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 542Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 742mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 35g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
And here is my little disclaimer. 🙂 It has been a really long time since we had a box of Cheeseburger Helper, so I am not sure that this taste will be 100% the same taste you get from the box, but like I said above we think it is better. I know they change the taste and formulations over the years and the tastes may have changed some since I tried it last. But I have been making homemade versions for years and we love the homemade versions better than any of the boxes we tried.