Breakfast chili is a simple, delicious, and filling meal. It makes a great breakfast or a simple breakfast for dinner meal!
My idea for breakfast chili is not original to me. This recipe was inspired by a recipe that I saw on Taste of Home for breakfast chili. We love chili and we love breakfast for dinner, so I knew it was a meal my family would enjoy.
As always though I decided to change up the recipe. The recipe that inspired my version used sausage patties and was seasoned a little differently. I thought a ground breakfast sausage would work better and I changed up the seasonings to make it more chili like.
The end result was delicious! It was a thick and hearty sausage chili that I served with a fried egg. It might seem like a strange combination, but it was so good. You have to try this one.
This would make a great breakfast for a crowd. You could make big pot of the chili ahead of time and just reheat it and serve it with eggs. I think this would be a perfect breakfast for a group of teens or college boys because it is filling and a little different than a normal breakfast.
My favorite way to serve this though is probably breakfast for dinner. It is quick and easy to make and I almost always have the ingredients on hand. It is also normal everyday food that just happens to be gluten free!
- 2 pounds lean ground breakfast sausage
- 1 cup salsa, mild or medium
- 1- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon chili powder depending on how spicy you want it
- 1/2 shredded cheese for serving
- Brown sausage in a pan until no longer pink and is completely done. Drain off any fat.
- Add salsa, tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder to the sausage and stir.
- Cook over medium low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the chili is cooking fry eggs. We like them over easy, but cook them how you like them.
- Serve chili in a bowl with egg and shredded cheese on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 123mgSodium: 1243mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 23g