Breakfast sausage chili is a simple, delicious, and filling meal. It makes a great breakfast or a simple breakfast for dinner meal!
My idea for breakfast chili is not original to me. This recipe was inspired by a recipe that I saw on Taste of Home for breakfast chili.
We love chili and we love breakfast for dinner, so I knew it was a meal my family would enjoy.
As always though I decided to change up the recipe. The recipe that inspired my version used sausage patties and was seasoned a little differently.
I thought a ground breakfast sausage would work better and I changed up the seasonings to make it more chili like.
The end result was delicious! It was a thick and hearty sausage chili that I served with a fried egg. It might seem like a strange combination, but it was so good. You have to try this one.
This would make a great breakfast for a crowd. You could make big pot of the chili ahead of time and just reheat it and serve it with eggs. I think this would be a perfect breakfast for a group of teens or college boys because it is filling and a little different than a normal breakfast.
My favorite way to serve this though is probably breakfast for dinner. It is quick and easy to make and I almost always have the ingredients on hand. It is also normal everyday food that just happens to be gluten free!
Have you ever eaten leftover chili for breakfast? I know several in my family that have been known to eat it for breakfast.
But if you don’t think your family will like chili for breakfast just call it sausage chili and serve it for dinner. It is basically a chili without beans made with ground sausage, so calling it sausage chili works too.
Can I make chili in the Crock Pot?
Yes, most chili recipes including this one work well in a slow cooker.
Cook meat as directed and drain off fat. Place in slow cooker with tomatoes, salsa, and seasoning. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- lean ground breakfast sausage
- salsa, mild or medium
- canned diced tomatoes
- ground cumin
- chili powder
- eggs if serving with eggs
- shredded cheese for serving if desired
- 2 pounds lean ground breakfast sausage
- 1 cup salsa, mild or medium
- 1- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 - 1 teaspoon chili powder depending on how spicy you want it
- 1/2 shredded cheese for serving
- Brown sausage in a pan until no longer pink and is completely done. Drain off any fat.
- Add salsa, tomatoes, cumin, and chili powder to the sausage and stir.
- Cook over medium low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the chili is cooking fry eggs. We like them over easy, but cook them how you like them.
- Serve chili in a bowl with egg and shredded cheese on top.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 404Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 20gCholesterol: 123mgSodium: 1243mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 23g
Originally published February 2018. Updated October 2021.