With a simple step, Martha Stewart’s Oven Baked Potatoes are the best baked potatoes that I have made.
This week’s recipe for my Year of Martha Stewart Cooking Challenge is more of a tip than a recipe.
In fact, I almost didn’t share this because it is so simple. But Martha’s tip for making a basic oven baked potato has changed the way I make baked potatoes.
Martha Stewart’s Baked Potato Tip
One of the things that I love about Martha Stewart is that she often takes a basic recipe and makes it better with one or two simple changes. That is the case with Martha Stewart’s Oven Baked Potatoes.
Martha makes baked potatoes better.
This tip may not be new to you, but it was new to me when I first read about in a Martha Stewart recipe.
In order to break up the potato and make it extra fluffy you hit the potato before cutting it open.
After you bake your potato, you put the potato on the counter and hit it with your hand. You then slice it and serve it.
I have seen her do it a slightly different way, I think on her show, but it is the same basic idea.
After you bake the potato you wrap it in a clean kitchen towel and wack it or hit it on the counter.
This is the way I prefer because a potato right from the oven is really hot and a towel keeps you from burning yourself. Either way works though and will give you a delicious light and fluffy baked potato.
Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Have you tried this tip before? I would love to hear what you think of Martha Stewart’s Oven Baked Potatoes.
- butter, sour cream cheese, etc. for serving
- 6 russet potatoes, scrubbed and dried
- toppings for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Using a fork pierce potatoes all over.
- Place the potatoes directly on the oven rack.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from oven and place on a clean surface. Hit potatoes with your hand. Or wrap the potato in a clean kitchen towel and hit the potato against the counter.
- Slice potatoes open and serve as desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 24mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 4gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.