This recipe came from my husband’s grandmother. She made it for years. I got the recipe quite a few years ago, before she passed away, and I have made it many times since.
I am pretty sure this recipe was one of those recipes that was very popular back in the 1970’s and 80’s. It was one of those cakes that many family’s enjoyed.
This cake is rich and delicious. It is a great holiday or special occasion cake. If you need an easy, but special cake this holiday season, give this recipe a try!
For my gluten free readers I will say that I have tried this cake with a gluten free cake mix and it doesn’t work the same. The texture is just off, but I have come up with a gluten free version that we love. So if you are gluten free and want to make a rum cake, give my gluten free rum cake a try.
Grandma's Butter Rum Cake
A family favorite cake.
- 1 Butter cake mix
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding
- 1/2 cup oil
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon rum flavoring
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon rum flavoring
- Mix all ingredients together. Mix for about two minutes or until well combined.
- Spread batter into a greased bundt pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes. Remove cake from oven, but leave in the pan.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking time for the cake, make the butter sauce.
For Butter Rum Sauce:
- In a pan combine butter, water, and sugar, boil then turn to low to simmer. Cook until butter is melted and sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add rum flavoring. Slowly pour over hot cake that is still in pan. You do this step as soon as the cake comes out of the oven. Pour slowly or it will not fit in the pan. Pour a little and wait a few minutes for it to absorb into pan, than continuing this until all the sauce is in the pan.
- Let cool completely before removing cake from pan. This lets the sauce soak into the cake.
- Remove from pan onto a platter and serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 274Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 87mgSodium: 114mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 0gSugar: 21gProtein: 2g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
Leave a Reply