All the flavors of a cheeseburger in this easy to make Cheeseburger Soup!
If your family isn’t a fan of soups you need to give this cheesy soup with ground beef and potatoes a try. It is a soup kids and adult love.
This cheeseburger soup is this week’s recipe for Souper Monday. It is a quick and easy kid friendly meal that everyone will love. It is also easy to adapt to gluten free.
This soup is a recipe that I have been making for years. Probably close to fifteen years.
The original recipe came from Taste of Home. It had carrots and celery in it. Although carrots and celery might be good, I do not think they belong in cheeseburgers, so I leave them out.
The original recipe also called for Velveeta. I adapted it, and I think made it better, without the Velveeta.
The original recipe did not have pickles in it. We love to spinkle a few chopped pickles on top when we serve it. We don’t like the pickles cooked in the soup, but they work great for a garnish on top.
My kids love this recipe. It is a quick and easy and a great fall and winter soup to make.
Can I make cheeseburger soup gluten free?
This soup is easy to make gluten free using a gluten free flour blend. I use Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Blend and it works great.
- ground beef
- dried basil
- dried parsley
- chicken or beef broth
- all purpose flour or gluten free flour blend
- cheddar cheese
- pickles if desired for serving
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups diced peeled potatoes (1-3/4 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour or Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free Flour Blend
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- chopped pickles for serving
- optional - sour cream
- In a 3-qt. saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute onion, basil and parsley in 1 tablespoon butter until onion is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, potatoes and ground beef, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, melt the remaining butter.
- Add flour and cook, stirring for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly.
- Add to soup and bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Add cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in sour cream if using.
- Sprinkle with pickles if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 432Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 75mgSodium: 868mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 21g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
Original recipe posted October 2008. Updated November 2021.