I recently realized that I do not have very many chicken recipes on my site. I love chicken and I really need to share more of them with you.
So, in an effort to fix my lack of chicken recipes, I decided that for Souper Monday this week I would share a chicken soup recipe. My copycat chicken enchilada soup recipe to be exact.
We love soup, and we love Mexican type food, so my family thinks this soup is a perfect combination.
This is similar to the chicken enchilada soup I have had at like Chili’s or other restaurants. It is not exactly the same, but we think it is pretty close.
- 3 chicken breasts- cooked and cut into small chunks (really you can use any cooked chicken here at long as it is 3-4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 10 ounce can enchilada sauce (or use my homemade enchilada sauce)
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 - 2 teaspoons salt (basically to taste)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder- more if you like it spicier
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- In a large pan heat oil and cook onion until tender.
- Add garlic and cook for about 30 seconds
- Add chicken broth, water, enchilada sauce, evaporated milk, cheese, salt, chili powder, and cumin. Cook on low for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken and keep cooking until chicken is heated through, this should only take a few minutes.
- Serve with additional cheese, chips, etc., as desired and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 423Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 1764mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 32g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.