Need a kid friendly, quick and easy, dinner? Corn Dog Casserole is an easy dinner that your kids are sure to love! And I am sharing how you can make it gluten free for a gluten free corn dog casserole.
Corn dog casserole is a great meal to make for kids, but adults will love this too. It is easy to make and a great way to use up leftovers.
This casserole would also be a great dish to take to a potluck type of meal.
What is corn dog casserole?
It is pretty much what it sounds like. It is hot dogs and cornbread. Most recipes call for a cornbread mix, but today I am sharing a simple recipe that uses a homemade cornbread batter, hot dogs, and cheese.
What to do with leftover hot dogs?
You make an easy casserole!
We recently had a group of friends over and I served chili and hot dogs. I ended up having quite a few grilled hot dogs leftover.
My family doesn’t really enjoy leftover hot dogs. They will eat them, but they are not a favorite. So I get creative when I need to use up hot dogs.
I have been making corn dog casserole and corn dog muffins for years, but when I made this recipe last week I realized that I had never shared it here. I decided that it was time to fix that!
Can I made corn dog muffins instead of corn dog casserole?
Yes, you can. Just scoop that batter into a greased muffin time and bake for 18- 20 minutes or until done.
Can I make gluten free corn dog casserole?
Yes, this works great gluten free. To make it gluten free I use a Bob’s Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour blend and gluten free cornmeal. You also need to make sure your hot dogs are gluten free. Most are, but always read labels to be sure.
Now for the recipe!
- 1 1/4 cups flour ( for gluten free use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF flour blend)
- 3/4 cup cornmeal ( for gluten free use gluten free cornmeal)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 6 hot dogs cut into chunks
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a bowl combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Add the milk, butter, and egg, Mix just only the ingredients are well combined.
- Stir in hot dogs and cheese.
- Pour the batter into a greased 8×8-inch pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Let cool slightly before slicing.
To make this gluten free use a gluten free flour blend. I like Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour blend. Use gluten free cornmeal. And be sure your hot dogs are gluten free.