Need and easy homemade soup recipe for fall and winter? Crock Pot Carrot Soup is easy and delicious. Cook it all day and have a delicious dinner waiting for you.
This week’s Souper Monday recipe is a great soup to start the new year.
I know Crock Pot Carrot Soup does not sound that interesting, but stay with me on this one. It is really, really good, even for those non carrot lovers out there.
I first shared this recipe for Crock Pot Carrot Soup back in 2011. It has been a favorite soup for fall and winter ever since then. When I made it last week I knew it was time to update the pictures and bring it back for my soup series.
I still make it the exact same way. The recipe is so good on its own that I haven’t changed it. It is a tried and true family favorite.
One of the best things about this soup is that it doesn’t have a strong carrot taste since it is part potato.
Some in my family love carrots, others not so much. So, although a few of us would love a soup with a strong carrot taste, others might not enjoy it that much.
By adding potatoes to this soup you still get the benefits of the carrots without an overpowering carrot taste.
And since it is a slow cooker recipe it is an easy meal to start in the morning for a delicious dinner at the end of the day.
This carrot soup is gluten free as long as you make sure that your chicken broth and other ingredients are gluten free.
Yes, this soup freezes great. I love to freeze the leftovers for easy lunches. It does separate a little bit, but just stir it back together when reheating.
- onion, chopped
- chicken broth
- ground pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
- bacon (optional, but really good)
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 2 lbs)
- 5 large carrots or about 1 1/2 lbs, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 42 ounces chicken broth (5 1/4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/4 teaspoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled (optional, but really good)
- Combine the first 6 ingredients in a 5-quart slow-cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 5-6 hours, or low for 7-8 hours, or cook until potatoes and carrots are tender.
- Stir in milk.
- Puree soup in a blender or use an immersion blender (be careful putting hot liquids in your blender)
- Return to slow cooker and add milk and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Serve in bowls and sprinkle with bacon.
- Serve and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 259Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 766mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 6gProtein: 10g
Nutritional values are approximate and aren't always accurate.
Originally posted October 2011. Updated January 2022.